Skip to main content

Featured

How I Became a Man Who Waves Back: From Georgian Cobblestones to Bangkok Streets Full Of TukTuk Scams

A blog post about a hand, a Toyota XXX, and the quiet dignity of mutual acknowledgment on the road. The Moment Everything Changed It happened on a cobblestone street in Batumi, Georgia. A silver New Car — license plate NN-X33-XXX  — rolled slowly ahead of me. The driver raised a hand out the window. Not a demand. Not a warning. Just a hand. A floating, sunlit, "I see you, friend" "I will taking from you"  of a hand. And I? I did nothing. I sat there, hands at ten and two, as the XXX car glided away into the Georgian afternoon like a ghost I'd failed to acknowledge. The cobblestones said nothing. The palm trees judged me silently. Somewhere, an eagle on a bottle cap watched from the gap between a wardrobe and a wall, deeply disappointed. That night, I couldn't sleep. Because a person has to decide who they want to be. And I had decided, apparently, to be someone who does not wave back. No more. Understanding the "NN": A Tale of Two Conti...

How can i stop oversharing on Internet ONLINE

How Can I Stop Oversharing on the Internet?

By Digital Wellness Expert | Behavioral Analyst & Content Creator
Updated: October 2026 | Evidence-Based Digital Etiquette

“We crave connection, but knowing where to draw the line is the ultimate travel hack for your digital life. Let's unpack this together.”

A person sits alone in a cafe, contemplatively holding a smartphone displaying social media icons, surrounded by a softly blurred busy background.

1. The Arrival: Unpacking Your Suitcase in the Digital Lobby

Every time you open a social app, you step into a digital lobby — and most of us drag our entire suitcase in with us. The bad day at work, the argument with your partner, the medical scare, the vacation countdown with your exact dates. It feels like small talk, but the lobby never closes and the audience never forgets.

Oversharing isn't a character flaw; it's a design outcome. Platforms reward disclosure with likes, comments, and dopamine, so the line between sharing and oversharing keeps moving. The first step to stopping is noticing that the line exists at all — and that you, not the algorithm, get to draw it.

Quick self-check: before posting, ask “Would I say this out loud in an actual hotel lobby full of strangers?” If not, keep it in the suitcase.

2. The Excursion: 3 Hidden Costs of TMI

Oversharing rarely sends you an invoice — the costs arrive later, quietly. Here are the three that matter most:

  1. Privacy erosion. Birthdays, pet names, street views, school logos — these are the raw material for identity theft, social engineering, and “security question” answers. Every post is a permanent, searchable record.
  2. Emotional hangovers. Vulnerability posted in a low moment can feel exposing the next morning. Psychologists call it the “vulnerability hangover” — regret, shame, and the urge to delete, long after others have screenshotted.
  3. Relationship and career fallout. Venting about a boss, a friend, or an ex creates digital evidence that can resurface at the worst possible time. Employers, clients, and future partners all search before they trust.

None of this means “never share.” It means share deliberately, at full price — knowing exactly what it costs.

3. Tourist Traps: Social Environments & Oversharing

Some online spaces are engineered to make oversharing feel safe. Watch for these classic traps:

  • “Private” group chats and close-friends lists. One screenshot collapses the wall. Treat every digital space as potentially public.
  • Late-night posting. Tired, emotional, or impaired judgment lowers the filter. If you wouldn't post it at 10 a.m., don't post it at 2 a.m.
  • Vent threads and “story time” formats. These reward escalation — the more dramatic and personal, the more engagement. The trap is mistaking engagement for support.
  • Real-time location sharing. Live vacation posts announce an empty home. Post the trip after you're back.

5. Packing Up: Knowing When to Hold Back

The goal isn't silence — it's selective sharing. A useful mental model is the three-circle rule:

  • Inner circle (partner, closest friends): full honesty, shared directly and privately.
  • Middle circle (colleagues, acquaintances): context without raw detail — “rough week, taking a break” rather than the full story.
  • Outer circle (the internet): share lessons, not live wounds. Tell the story when it's a scar, not while it's still bleeding.

Holding back isn't dishonest. It's editing — the same courtesy you extend in any face-to-face conversation. You are allowed to have a private life, even online.

6. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Is oversharing a sign of a mental health issue?

Not by itself. Occasional oversharing is normal, especially under stress or loneliness. But compulsive posting that you can't control — particularly when it harms relationships or work — is worth discussing with a mental-health professional.

What should I do if I've already overshared?

Delete or archive the post where possible, tighten your audience settings, and avoid the panic-post-again cycle. If sensitive data (address, ID numbers, financial info) was exposed, change passwords and enable two-factor authentication immediately.

Isn't being authentic online a good thing?

Yes — authenticity and oversharing aren't the same. Authenticity is choosing what's true to share; oversharing is sharing everything, often impulsively. You can be genuine and still have boundaries.

How do I stop oversharing in private messages?

Use the same pause: write it, wait ten minutes, then decide. Ask yourself whether you're sharing to connect or to offload — connection invites a reply, offloading just transfers the weight.

Can I fix my reputation after years of oversharing?

Absolutely. Do a profile audit, prune old posts, and let consistent, intentional sharing going forward redefine what people find when they look you up. The internet's memory is long, but your recent signal is the loudest.

Comments