How I Became a Man Who Waves Back: From Georgian Cobblestones to Bangkok Streets Full Of TukTuk Scams
A blog post about a hand, a Toyota XXX, and the quiet dignity of mutual acknowledgment on the road.
The Moment Everything Changed
It happened on a cobblestone street in Batumi, Georgia.
A silver New Car — license plate NN-X33-XXX — rolled slowly ahead of me. The driver raised a hand out the window. Not a demand. Not a warning. Just a hand. A floating, sunlit, "I see you, friend" "I will taking from you" of a hand.
And I? I did nothing.
I sat there, hands at ten and two, as the XXX car glided away into the Georgian afternoon like a ghost I'd failed to acknowledge. The cobblestones said nothing. The palm trees judged me silently. Somewhere, an eagle on a bottle cap watched from the gap between a wardrobe and a wall, deeply disappointed.
That night, I couldn't sleep. Because a person has to decide who they want to be. And I had decided, apparently, to be someone who does not wave back.
No more.
Understanding the "NN": A Tale of Two Continents
First, a lesson I learned the hard way so you don't have to.
In Georgia, the "NN" on a license plate means nothing special. It's not police. It's not government. It's not a secret society of hybrid-vehicle knights. It's simply part of the standard format: two letters, three numbers, two letters. The XXX car in question was an ordinary private car, driven by an ordinary person with an extraordinary grasp of manners.
Knowing this matters. Because you can't wave back with sincerity if you're waving at a code. You wave back at a person.
However, little did I know that this random sequence of letters would later become deeply meaningful to me. As my travels shifted to Southeast Asia, I discovered that an NN registration number Thailand or an NN plate Vietnam cross border actually does mean something very specific: it denotes a foreign-registered vehicle.
The Decent Traveler's Wave: A Technical Manual
Waving back is an art. Here is the full curriculum for the respectful road user:
- 1. The Lift: One hand off the wheel. Palm outward. Fingers relaxed — this is a salute of civility, not a traffic stop. Raise it no higher than eye level. You're acknowledging a fellow traveler, not hailing a cab in 1950s New York.
- 2. The Duration: One second. Maybe one and a half. The wave is a comma, not an exclamation point. Hold it too long and you've gone from decent traveler to strangely intense stranger.
- 3. The Eye Contact: Brief. Optional. Sacred. If it happens, add the nod — a small downward tilt of the chin, the universal symbol for "we are both doing our best out here."
- 4. The Escalation Ladder (for advanced practitioners only):
- Level 1: The Lift (described above).
- Level 2: The Two-Finger Raise — index and middle, casual, friendly.
- Level 3: The Headlight Flash — if your hands are occupied and your soul demands acknowledgment.
- Level 4: Do not attempt Level 4. No one has returned from Level 4.
Why It Matters (More Than You Think)
Here's the thing about navigating the vibrant streets of Georgia, Cambodia, Vietnam, or Thailand: traffic is a dynamic, shared dance. It requires mutual respect, awareness, and patience. Into this lively flow steps the hand out the window — the oldest, most human communication protocol still running on our roads.
When someone waves at you, they're doing three things at once:
- Confirming they see you (safety)
- Expressing gratitude or yielding (courtesy)
- Inviting you into the shared understanding that we are all navigating this together (community)
To not wave back is to leave the conversation hanging. It's the road-trip equivalent of leaving someone on "read."
And in a world of content gaps and wardrobe-wall voids — places where things fall and are never acknowledged — a returned wave is a small act of witnessing. It says: I saw you see me. The signal was received. We exist.
The Expat Connection: From Georgia to Bangkok
Some of you will ask: "Do I wave back to all plates, or just NN?"
Decency does not discriminate by registration prefix. The Georgian NN started my journey, yes. The Prius was my teacher. But the wave belongs to everyone — the local taxis, the delivery scooters, and the seasoned commuters who have clearly seen it all.
Yet, as a digital nomad, recognizing that foreign registered bike Thailand NN plate or car creates an instant, unspoken bond. It’s the foundation of the expat solidarity motorcycle wave Southeast Asia. When you understand the complexities of digital nomad driving in Bangkok rules, or the bureaucratic maze of securing a Thailand foreign vehicle permit motorcycle, you realize that every foreign driver on the road is navigating a steep learning curve.
Whether you are figuring out how to re-register foreign vehicle Thailand paperwork, or simply trying to understand the difference between a temporary red plate vs foreign plate Thailand, a simple wave from a fellow traveler says, "I know it's complicated. You're doing great." (And yes, I now use an AI translate Thai vehicle registration document tool on my phone to ensure I’m always compliant and respectful of local laws!).
Epilogue: The NNXXX CAR, Revisited
I never saw NN-X33-XX again. Priuses, like waves, move on.
But last week, on a narrow street near the market in Bangkok, a different car — some hatchback, some forgettable letters — slowed and raised a hand. The driver waited. Patient. Unhurried. As if he knew.
I lifted my hand off the wheel. Palm out. One second. The nod.
And somewhere, I like to think, a silver Prius gliding down a cobblestone road in Georgia felt a small, warm disturbance in the fabric of the world — like a bottle cap finally settling peacefully into the gap between a wardrobe and a wall.
Privacy & Community Note: In the spirit of Blogger.com etiquette and respect for personal privacy, all license plate numbers, specific vehicle descriptions, and individual interactions mentioned in this post are either fictionalized, generalized, or shared with the utmost respect for the communities I visit. The goal of this post is to celebrate mutual respect and cultural connection, not to identify or single out any individual.

Comments
Post a Comment